Wednesday 20 February 2008

IF: Theory 'What is it like to be a bat?'

Philosopher Thomas Nagel offered an objection to the Mind-Brain Identity theory (which seeks to reduce all mental states to brain states, arguing that there is nothing that cannot, ultimately be explained in terms of our material brains and therefore observed).
Nagel points out that however much we might learn about bats say, their bodies, brains, behaviour etc.. we can never know what it is like to be a bat. There are private, subjective experiences that bats and the rest of us have which cannot be observed, therefore something remains mysterious about the mind even if we know all there is about the brain.

8 comments:

Eli said...

I understand why a philosopher would believe that, but I happen to have developed a bat serum. Mostly my experiences as a bat left me with a dry mouth and a sense of entitlement. , oddly my Paris Hilton serum has a similar effect...

Oh, nice drawing by the way, I like the movement. Very cute bats.

RyanLoghry said...

Hey great job. I like your bat characters. Specifically I like the curved pose. And your shading is terrific! Nice work.

Anonymous said...

I really like your drawings, you have a very soft touch with your pencil and you create lovely characters. I agree with the previous post, the shading and the curved pose are terrific. As is the sleeping bat. Great work, and I also enjoyed learning about Nagel's theory! :-)

studio lolo said...

Great take on the subject. I guess we really can't know what it's like to "be" a bat. I equate that with someone saying "I know exactly how you feel." No you don't! Sweet bat drawing too ;)

Kay Aker said...

What a charmingly adorable bat!

Random York said...

These are very cuddly bats... I really like them!

Kev Levell said...

There is something very pleasing about your work. I especially like the curved bat and the bunnies!

Thanks for the encouraging comments on my blog, much appreciated!

Faruffa said...

I have a little fear of bats, but these are so cute that I would not be afraid to meet!